A VPN is supported by the Security Protocols. These security protocols use a very well organized set of rules and principles to ensure safety during transmission of messages, texts and other data on public network. VPN engages a wide range of protocols which have been designed to work with different simple to complex networking systems.
A VPN protocol is designed to encrypt network connection and convert it into private channel by using tunneling concept. A strong VPN builds up a security shied to provide maximum security, protection and most importantly privacy during two way communication across the web.
Why VPN Protocols Are Preferably Used?
- A virtual private network implements multitude protocols and each one of them has a common purpose of secure browsing and private transmission of data from one to other device through VPN servers.
- Every protocol is developed with variety of defensive features to ensure that the users private browsing stay hidden from digital hackers and snoopers. Each VPN security protocol has come up with exclusive qualities as these have been adorn with divergent features.
- When you explore different protocols, you will realize that some of them go for maximum security and encryption but ignore speed while on the other hand some would maintain security as well as speed.
- The preferences of protocol usually depend upon a user’s specific requirement. Just in case your main concern is security, you should definitely go for a VPN service that focuses on high encryption than speed. In short, a VPN without security protocol is completely useless.
Top Five VPN Protocols
The VPN protocol will bring you variety of features such as connection speed, safe and secure browsing experience, internet connection stability, anonymous downloading and torrenting and most importantly compatibility with all types of devices. To achieve and maintain security shield in any kind of network, the protocols play an impressively vital role.
1: Internet Protocol Security (IPSec)
- IPSec stands for Internet Protocol Security which is basically a very well organized procedure to provide security to the one-on-one communication through networks. It functions to secure IP network from both sides of the users through end-2-end encryption.
- Internet security protocol uses a unique set of codes for locking and unlocking transferred data on private and public network. The codes or keys generated by the IPSec have been very effective in data encryption as well as decryption.
- This particular protocol is very popular in developing verification methodology to carry out proper check and balance on individual network connection. A carefully planned process ensure real identify before granting access to encrypted data.
- The received and sent data are stored in form of packets which have to go through the encryption process before transmission from one to the other end. IPSec functions with two different modes which are known as tunneling mode that conceals data and transferring mode that encrypt data.
2: Point-To-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
- PPTP stands for Point-to-point tunneling protocol which is fundamentally a combination of communication rules created to establish and run safe and secure virtual private network. It enables different organizations to devise an appropriate method for creating and expanding private network within the organization rather than using public network.
- By implementing PPTP technology, a medium to large size organization which has a network of offices at different locations can easily setup LAN (Local Area Network) in collaboration with WAN (Wide Area Network).
- Basically PPTP was introduced as an addition to the already-in-use point-to-point protocol. Along with L2TP, PPTP has also become a standard for secure internet protocols and is popularly being used by the developers and VPN producers.
3: Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)
- L2TP stands for Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol which has been designed to refuge intact network. This particular system has been very effective in ensuring safe and secure transactions and transmission of data all across the web from one to the other channel.
- Though, it does not perform encryption and verification process on its own, it definitely accompanies with other security protocols such as IPSec that works to encrypt and authenticate user data. Once the data is completely encrypted, L2TP initiate its operation to build a channel between 2 networks.
- L2TP can be very effectively used to create VPN (Virtual Private Network) in public networks. Since L2TP is considered as standard by the internet engineering task force aka IETF, it establishes interoperability among various VPN Vendors like Cisco and Microsoft. It combines some of the most significant features from the two different protocols.
4: SSLP and TLP
- SSLP which stands for Secure Socket Layer and TLP which stands for Transport Layer Protocols are considered to be very important protocols especially for securing HTTP requests.
- Various websites and apps such as chat messenger have been very serious about establishing a secure and safe connection between app server and browser. HTTPS ensures a secure and well established affiliation between the app server and web browser.
- To create a new SSL connection, it is necessary for a web server to acquire an SSL Certificate. However, when you are ready to activate an SSL certificate on your own web server, there will be a lengthy process of authentication.
- During the process, the website owner will be asked variety of questions related to the site identity and the company that owns it. Later a set of two different cryptographic keys will be created by the web server to server private and public networks separately.
- If you are looking for an advanced form of security protocol, you should check out OpenVPN. This advanced version of protocol give permission to the users for making necessary customization on virtual private network.
- For creating site-to-site connection, this is one of the most popular open source programs. OpenVPN uses a set of systematic data analysis keys. This program prefers to engage with at least two verification modes known as TLS and static key.
- A static key is used by the OpenVPN to move encrypted data through the secure tunnel. While on the other hand, TLS makes sure that the level of security remains maintained between server and browser.
Final Words about VPN Protocols
Five security protocols have been explained to the readers to help them choose the best VPN service for their online safety. Security and privacy are two main concerns in today’s digital world where you are always at risk if ignore taking necessary safety measures. So far VPN is the most effective method to stay anonymous, hide real identity, mask real location and most importantly secure private data from hackers, snoopers and spies.